Friday, June 10, 2011

40 Days of Prayer - Day 1

"The Lord has done great things for us, and we are glad."
Psalm 126:3

The upper GI endoscopy went well.  I am learning that the Catholic hospitals and medical centers are places of sweetness and compassion.  In this past week, I have had two very good experiences with caring doctors and staff.

The procedure was short, I was comfortable, and the results are interesting.  At least to me!

"Esophagus, stomach, duodenum looked good.  Biopsy taken to rule out celiac disease.  Follow up with PCP."

I was pretty out of it when I came out of anesthesia, so of course didn't ask all the questions I should have.  I called the attending nurse later in the afternoon to ask a few, and she was very helpful.

There is no evidence of gastritis (!!) or ulcers, either in the stomach or duodenum.  The small intestine doesn't look diseased, but the biopsy will tell whether there is celiac present or not.

While I am glad that there is no gastritis present, and no ulcers, this begs the question of what is causing my stomach distress?  And if there is no celiac disease, the absorption problems in my intestines?

 As the nurse and I continued to talk, she told me that the symptoms I'm displaying are similar to those she had experienced before she had her gall bladder removed.  That was an entirely new thought.  Not something any health care professional has mentioned to this point.  So, we will be taking a look at that in the coming week.

Indeed, the Lord does great things, and we are glad.

Today's Prayer Request:
That we'd be able to investigate the gall bladder possibility quickly and effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment